Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Living near fast food outlets?

A new study has revealed that people living near a variety of restaurants, convenience stores, supermarkets and even fast food outlets, are less likely to be fat.
On the contrary, people who live more than a half mile away from any food outlets are more likely to be fatter.The study suggests that placing restrictions on fast food outlets may not be effective, but that initiatives to increase healthy neighborhood food options may reduce individuals’ obesity risks, especially if focused on low-income neighborhoods.In the study involving 500,000 Salt Lake County residents, the researchers found that nearly half of the residents enjoy a mix of food options in their neighborhoods, while 30 percent have access to at least one retail food option and the remaining 30 percent live in “food deserts”-neighborhoods with no retail food options.

7 comments:

  1. Really, this I would like to read this study sometime. It is interesting to here all of the study's involving weight of people. You think it would be the other way around but I guess it makes sense that the lower market would live in areas that are not close to these fast food places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently moved to the country where there are no fast food restaurants around me, and I have over the time lost 5 pounds! I am not sure if this relates to the other, but I certainly do not eat fast food as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the closer you live to fast food restaurants the more likely you will eat there and gain weight. Since I started working full time and going to school full time I have gained nine pounds which makes me sick thinking about it. But I have to drive straight through town and it is just so convenient to stop and get fast food on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard as a college student to avoid the fast food world. It is fast and convenient to grap something on the go. Plus, we all know that is doesn't taste bad either. I do wish that there were more fast food places that offered a more healthy menu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fast food is so convenient especially going to school and working. So on my day off sometime i cook alot of food so i can take it with me and the money you use for fast food, you can use to buy groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fast food restaurants are just that... quick and easy, but still, they do have the "dollar menu" which is a plus when you're stretching your dollars. You don't find many healthy choices for a dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fast food is my breakfast, lunch, and dinner a majority of the time. With school and work, i never have time to cook. Fast food restuarants are just convenient.

    ReplyDelete